What and WEAR

Wednesday, October 31, 2012


It’s been half an hour since the program has concluded. Flashes of distant cameras were still evident from the center stage where the very event took place. Family and friends gathered around in celebration of victory and delight as Earl Jane, Karl, Josh, Kim, Joyce and Vince takes pleasure in their triumphant stint as pageant winners. Across the canteen table, I sat down on a monobloc chair, finishing my egg sandwich. In nonchalance, I watched the spectacle from afar as the hollering and hooting continues.

Heading to my direction were Ate Sha and Ate Ann. In haste, I swallowed my food, gulped down my drink and went to my feet to engage in an after-event conversation

Kids” I muttered, pointing to the boisterous display in front of us.  Both of them smiled.

Love the outfit, Anie” Ate Sha said out of the blue.

Don’t tell me you got that from the thrift shop again” she inquired.

As a matter of fact, I did” I replied, quite pleased with myself.

For a hundred and seventy-five pesos, no less” I went on and gave them a quick carefree twirl.

Photo from https://fuhrigg.wordpress.com
I confess I have been one of the boys for quite too long and slipping into short dresses is a preference I’ve recently got the hang of. When it comes to dressing up, I resort to an Ukay-Ukay to procure an inexpensive and stylish outfit. Ukay Ukay is actually a Visayan word that means “to rummage”, a term generally used throughout the Philippines to describe how people pick out garments from an imported second-hand clothing outlet. Yes readers, most of the dresses I wear once belonged to someone else. My dear Ate Ann wouldn’t consent to this and so as my pastor, but Ukay is just so addicting! There’s a sense of thrill in unearthing something fabulous amidst racks and racks of clothes and the best part is, you hardly ever get the same thing twice! 

Nowadays, I go for dresses mostly for the comfort it offers, adding a dash of feminine touch to my short hair and accentuating it a little comes in second. I hardly consider myself a fashionista, truth is, that word irks me and I don't give a rat tooth about brands either, I'm all for comfort, wearability {if that's even a word} and the reasonable price that comes with it. I'm an advocate of Ukay not just for the big thrift that I am but for the STYLE OF CLOTHING that you won’t easily find anywhere else in Angeles City. I roll my eyes at people with the impression that Ukay are for the less fortunate or for the cheaps, because it is not. Lately, even the ones with fashion cred has done it at some point, so why the prejudice? Think BRANDON BOYD. I love him. Furthermore, Ukay is for the unpretentious, who’s unaffected by anyone’s opinions and I honestly think no one can be classier than that.

You Might Also Like

0 comments