Peace, Be Still

Sunday, December 02, 2012


Recently, I’ve been thinking about the story of Jesus and his disciples in a boat out on the water. With my imagination at work, I would picture the scared stiff disciples in a cinematic-ques scene, soaking wet from the raging rainstorm and high wild waves, utterly freaked out, hysterical even, as the great storm came upon them. Fast asleep as Jesus was, his disciples reached out, roused Him as they frantically bellowed {as Matthew 8:25 puts it},

"Lord, save us! We're going to die!"

How Jesus managed to nod off like that? I honestly have no clue but in my mind, I imagine Him awaking, rubbing His still dozy eyes, equally drenched and without preamble, He stood up, held up His hands and specifically uttered,

Peace, be still””

The storm did not gradually dissipative; it went from an intense blustery weather with towering waves into calm seas as soon as Jesus commanded it to be still. The camera of my mind then shifts to His disciples one by one, all 12 of them {I’d like all 12 of them to be there anyway}, their fear of the storm were instantaneously replaced by awe of Jesus and marveled they did at the idea that even the storm would obey Him.

As I wrap up this fascinating story in my head, I was taken to the reality that, at times, like the disciples, I too, have been overwhelmed by the waves of worry. This story reminds me of the God-given authority we have in Jesus to declare peace over every area of our lives and no matter what storms may come against us, the Greater One lives on the inside of us. And for me, that’s what peace really is … knowing that God is working things out for our good.

You Might Also Like

0 comments