Last Holiday Break Hurrah

Friday, January 04, 2013

Even for someone like me, who shamelessly loves her job, getting back into the work-groove could also be a little painful. Add eating a lot of food into the muddle, hanging out with the girl friends and staying up late, it just seems almost impossible to come back to work all fired up. So, as the holiday break draw to a close, I’ve resolved to ease back on my languid routine for the past two weeks {or so} and start doing some meager household chores as a start. Hence, I dumped piles of clean laundry into the basket this afternoon and got to turn them into orderly stacks while watching You’ve Got Mail.


A wave of sweet nostalgia sweeps me every time I hear the screeching sound of AOL dial-up as Kathleen Kelly connects online. Her phrases that says:

I go on line, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You’ve got mail. I hear nothing, not a sound on the streets of New York. Just the beat of my own heart. I have mail...from you.

... is, in my opinion, as charming as any Shakespearean sonnets can get.

It’s that one romantic comedy movie I enjoy watching too many times because:

  1. It makes me relive the excitement of connecting to the internet with the noise of a 56k modem back in the days, which, up until this moment, remains weirdly fascinating to me {and at the same time feel grateful for broad-bands and Wi-fi};
  2. It is a pretty darn good 90’s movie with perhaps THE BEST supporting cast (Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Dave Chapelle, Steve Zahn, Heather Burns) and;
  3. In some aspects, it has that Jane Austen-esque touch which I love so much... light on the heart and altogether delightful.
I must confess, I’m a skeptic, though not entirely prejudice to the whole concept of internet love and romance but, for this flick and the amiable film it is, I’ll make an exception. And the idea of a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils, I think, is just brilliant.

You Might Also Like

0 comments