Papaya Pie: An Ode To My Darling Niece

Monday, February 11, 2013


4 months after I hit my late 20's, I get to be an aunt all over again. These past weeks, I spent some quality time with my youngest niece, who gets so adorable by the minute. After spending the day with her,  I'd lay on my bed scrolling through the newest photos of her on my mobile phone and instantly, my brain floods with so much endorphins. Recollecting the sweet and precious feeling of her little head asleep so soundly on my shoulder is an endorphin tsunami altogether. Finally, a moment of quiet introspection or two led me to write something like this:

Oh Papaya Pie

What beauty I see in your eyes

Little one who brings such joy
Your charming coos make me say ‘Ahoy’

Blissful is the day that you were born
For I no longer feel so forlorn
Sleep you may in my tender arm
I’ll hold you close and keep you from any harm

From your eyes, I’ll wipe a tear
Hush right now, there’s nothing to fear
Smile and be the princess that you are
Papaya Pie, my little shining star

I’ll whisper a prayer just for you
Endless blessings will surely follow through
Let God be your guide
At all times, know He’ll provide

Darling niece, I love you dear
Hope this little gesture somehow makes it clear
Nothing in this world I long to see
For you to grow as happy as you can be

Aunthood is truly delightful, though at times I wonder, if it'll ever beats motherhood.

You Might Also Like

0 comments