Three Decades and a Year

Thursday, April 21, 2016



Hold still!” my sister said, almost irritatingly.

I’m not one to hold still especially if things are left unexplained but my sister sounded so serious and I, for the life of me, did what she said as a strand of hair was gingerly plucked out from my head.

Here” she said, grabbing my hand to firmly place a short gray strand of hair on my palm.

Awww” I said in the most adoringly way I can muster, as if I was gazing at the wonder of a newborn baby.

 Whether this gray strand of hair is stress-induced or brought on by the result of genetics, I absolutely feel nothing less than regal. Throw in crow’s feet and sagging underarms in the next couple of years; I can still say becoming older will never be a tale of woe in my book. Ever. Because being a grown woman is damn magnificent! At thirty-one, this holds true to me. Every year, I would wait for my birthday to roll around only to celebrate it the way I know best – reflecting on the past year, realizing I did learn something and yes, I am on my way to getting wiser. I’d take that, in addition to solitude, over drinking and merry-making, any day.

Officially a thirty-something today, which I find both overwhelming and empowering, I feel like I’ve stepped into a new realm of adulthood bringing with me, competence and fortitude as well as battle scars from the past year that allows me to see the possibilities even in the midst of uncertainties. This decade of life brought me to a new level of understanding myself and finally learned to appreciate the person I’ve grown into.

Sure, there will be days I would still feel like crap and taking what life hands me seems to be the only thing that I can do. But, most days though, I’m glad I have this newfound confidence that enables me to make conscious efforts in changing the things within my grasps and courageously accept those that are beyond my control. I only have one life to live after all, and to be able to claw out exactly how I want it to be, is a gift.

And if you’re one of those people whose first impulse is to go “tsk!” because I’m 31, not married, childless and unaccomplished based on your shallow standards – save your deep-seated concerns and worries for the orphans/world hunger/terrorism, will you? I am more than alright because, here, right now, is when life has truly taken off for me and I'm overjoyed to know that my best years are exactly where they should be – right in front of me.

Later that evening, I took my short strand of gray hair and slipped it carefully in between the pages of one of my favorite passages in the Bible. Gray hair, they say, is a crown of glory, and when mine becomes visible enough, you'll see me wear it with pride.

You Might Also Like

0 comments