Thoughts on The Scarlet Letter {1995 Film}

Thursday, May 02, 2013




To Nathaniel Hawthorne’s most complex character, the Puritan Minister, Rev. Arthur Dimmesdale,

I seriously think you were a fool for falling in love with someone like Hester Prynne. I suppose my repugnance towards your lack of common sense and how it affected me terribly is because outside the literary/fictional world, I am admitted to the fact that there STILL countless people like you even in my time. People who seemingly lose their marbles in pursuit of love, to the point of compromising even what they believe in… something that does not entirely make sense to me, given my limited experience on the love department, so you have to excuse me for that. Sir Gary Oldman portrayed you so well in the movie, Scarlet Letter, I cannot seem to hate you despite of your cowardice that prevented you to immediately confess your relationship with the mistress. I appreciate Roland Joffé, for putting a rather uplifting movie finale in contrast to the book… which made me realize one thing: I AM A SUCKER FOR HAPPY ENDINGS, haha! I understand that you died in a scaffold; therefore, I would not dare to read the book. It would only depress me for sure. My quest to watch as many Gary Oldman movies as I can is solely because of you, so help me God! LOL!

You Might Also Like

0 comments