A Life's Lesson Learned at 15

Monday, May 13, 2013

In life, you learn how to love, how to laugh, cry your heart out, get your heart broken, learn how to forgive, smile in the rain and in life, you also learn the value of measuring cups and its power over a good pancake (or any cake/desserts for that matter). My third year in high school taught me a significant deal about measuring cups. It’s really quite a shame I had to learn it the hard way though, even so, life is still good. Whatever that means, haha!

In my Home Economics class, I was group with my sassy-smart girl friends and together, we were on a quest to make the most epic chocolate chip cookies. Like a soldier who is about to embark on a great crusade, we came in ready. Everything was perfect, almost like a royal cotillion dance of the 18th century France until it was time to add in the most unholy box of baking soda I’ve ever seen. After all the sifting, beating and stirring we did, the question of how much baking soda we should put in our batter, rose. Uncertainty kicked in and a little discussion went about. Time was running out. None of my friends want to take the lead on the pressing matter, so, with all the confidence I can muster, I grabbed that box of baking soda and poured in its entire content in our batter. Problem solved, I muttered. Onto the greased baking tray and off to the oven our drop dough went and minutes later, our chocolate chip cookies were good to go. It looked and smelled flawlessly mouth-watering… until our teacher tried one. I’ll never forget the expression she had in her face when she asked who put in too much baking soda. No one said a word. With great disgust she turned to us and said, “Papatayin niyo ba ako?! (are you trying to kill me?!)” and that put an end to my ongoing saga of skepticism on measuring cups and learned how an excessive intake of baking soda can kill. I was 15. Naive and oddly foolish. Excuses, excuses, excuses, haha!

Today, I am a strong believer of measuring cups. As a result, I can cook scrumptiously, to-die-for pancakes. Ready pancake mix has no room on my kitchen counter when cooking for breakfast. Even Ate May, who’s scrupulous when it comes to food would agree. Mrs. Tandingan would be so darn proud!

You Might Also Like

0 comments