That Other Thing I Do

Thursday, May 01, 2014

K.A. Easter '14
"Miss Anie!" a voice from a vacant lot with thickly overgrown weeds and bushes across the street echoed.

Immediately, I stopped on my tracks, somewhat puzzled. I turned around and glanced at the area and saw 9-year old John Paul in his over worn half-white sando and tattered denim shorts hanging upside down from a tree branch, beaming with glee as he gave me an enthusiastic two-hand wave from across the street. 


John Paul” I bellowed. Scared stiff he might fall, I motioned him to climb down.

Easily, he climbed down the tree in a wink and ran towards me, initiating an animated, dance-like greeting as he took my hand in his and raised them to his forehead {mano po gesture}. 

Bless you”, I said smiling and sent him on his way.

This has always been the case whenever my co-Sunday school teachers and I stroll the streets of our little community. Kids who regularly attend our K.A. service every week would come up to us and say hi in crazily heart-warming ways whenever we randomly see them around Plaridel II or Amsic areas... something I just can’t get behind every single time.

It’s been a year since I took the leadership at King’s Ambassadors, the kids ministry of the church where I currently attend. Here, we encourage kids to build up a close and intimate relationship with Jesus as they grow up confidently and be an Ambassador of Christ through words and actions. One solid year of learning, trusting, discipline and a life wholly changed on so many different levels. Truth be told, I still cringe at the idea of leading the kids ministry. I didn’t set out for this but once you see a pressing need, you simply cannot walk away from it without doing anything. What with this out-of-this-world burden and love for the K.A. kids, it was clear that God was calling me. I was challenge to dive right in and with a rolled up sleeve, I did and never regret doing so. In spite of being the classic INTP, who’s not exactly fond of responsibilities and dreads the social demands of leadership, I can sincerely say that right here and doing this feels so much like I’m in my total element. When I contemplate on my past experiences, self-doubts that never seem to disappear and how I ultimately landed this position, I know it was God who ordered my steps and in my heart of hearts I’m certain… kids ministry here in Humphrey Center is where it’s at. 

At present, we minister to heaps of kids in our weekly service, having only 7 volunteers on my team and with very limited resources. It’s almost crazy how we manage to keep afloat but God has been faithful and it is His grace that sustains us. With this confidence He put in our hearts, we see brighter days ahead and greater things are about to unfold before our very eyes because God is truly, extremely, awesomely good. I mean like, seriously good.

You Might Also Like

0 comments