On the Verge of 30

Tuesday, April 22, 2014


I turned 29 last Easter. In the world of Mathematics, 29 might as well be 30, if that is the case, why not? I honestly don’t see the need to run for the nearest closet to hide away in darkness and pretend this isn’t happening, so, ya, I’m really down with getting older. Sure, it feels a little strange to say “Hello, my name is Anie and I’m 29 years old” out loud only to realize that you are about to complete 1/3 of your life but life gets better with age they say, so, what the heck! Essentially, I feel better now than I did years ago. My early 20’s is made up of mistakes, heartaches, bliss, ups, as well as downs, a prime time of self-awareness and growth from experiences that served as stepping stones leading me to where I needed to be at this age. I look back at those years, half delighted, half mortified yet wholly content of who I have become and more importantly, of who I am becoming. Statistical nightmares aside {that include a biological clock that starts ticking like an earthquake and ovaries that seems to wilt away}, I can truly say that I’ve cheerfully rolled into this number with ease and a self-secured confidence. As I reflect on my time as a twenty-something, allow me to share 10 things I know to be true:

    1. Planning for the future is a must {set it in stone, if you please, written in the blood of little rams if you're into that} but understand that life isn’t as simple as making a plan and making it happened magically. As much as I want everything to go my way, I’m confronted with the reality that {some} things will not always be as how I picture it to be and that’s fine. Learning to adjust your expectations will spare you from further drama and frustrations.
    2. Regret is futile. It is best to learn from them and move on.
    3. Investing more time in developing new interests and understanding my personality have helped me know who I REALLY am and in turn made me aware of what I TRULY want in life: Purpose. Passion. Love.
    4. My late 20’s isn’t just about slow metabolism, it’s also about maturity, preferring wisdom over looks, sensibility over vanity and being responsible over being overly care-free, living off outdated habits and self-limiting beliefs to finally face adulthood head on.
    5. Growing older means you find yourself grounded in who you are and what you can accomplish. Making decisions based on my own ideals and not the need for outside validation is sort of liberating, pleasant even.
    6. Doing things that are scary is essential for growth. At some point, I have to take a huge leap of faith towards new beginnings, take risks and step beyond the horizon of my comfort zone. It took a lot of nerves and renewed mindsets to finally be able to say I’M {gulps} READY.
    7. Maintaining a teachable attitude is important. What better way to expand your talents to its full potential than to keep expecting and striving to learn, unlearn and re-learn. I’d like to think I have a good head on my shoulders but I still haven’t figured everything out and so, the learning goes!
    8. Never forget the importance of humility. John Maxwell said it best, “Humility allows us to regain perspective and see the big picture… Humility allows us to let go of perfection and keep trying.
    9. Despite of my commitment to what others see as a patriarchal religion, I still consider myself a feminist, not because I hate wearing bra but mainly because I believe in the total equality, dignity and value of women. I believe Jesus and his teachings are pro-women too, so yes, I’m a feminist and feminists can be Christians too.
    10. As I recall every single things that have happened, the good, the worst, it makes me more excited to see what the future holds because one thing I’m positively sure, the best is yet to come.
The ride has been exhilarating, daunting at some point but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Thank you so much to everyone who sent me lovely name day messages. I feel so fortunate to spent a wonderful time with wonderful people. I just hope you know how much I appreciate all of you beyond words! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You Might Also Like

0 comments