I Love Me Some John Malkovich

Tuesday, April 23, 2013


There are no words to describe my unadulterated liking for Stephen Frears 1996 feature film, Mary Reilly. No matter how dark, sad, frightening and gloomy of a story it was (as told by the legendary film critic, Roger Ebert) I am still fully drawn to it. The film received countless negative feedbacks from the public, critics and movie-goers alike, yet I fancy the unconventional romance that it was for a love story. Apart from the exquisite cinematography and melodramatic script, however, it was John Malkovich’s splendid acting performance that got me wholly enthralled. How he separated the two identities (Jekyll and Hyde), Malkovich truly delivered and it is positively one of my favorite of his performances.

Last night, I found myself steering through Youtube and saw this John Malkovich interview on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart dated April 2003. I was rendered speechless to find out that apart from his acting brilliance, directing flair, writing knack and producing skill, this wunderkind also happens to be a fashion designer. There, watching intently by drawing my head closer toward my computer screen, I was mouth-opened in utter disbelief. Like, how many talents can a man have anyway? Are these talents based on not wanting to be bored, or on curiosity, on genetics, or just merely a gift and entirely inherent? To round out these mind-blowing talents he has, Malkovich also has a wicked sense of humor, it made me crack up like crazy. I got completely blown away by the 59-year-old man and there, I knew how truly magnificent he is. You know, the magnificent type, that would shut an overly-opinionated girl like me up. And for once, I completely allowed myself to fangirl this much. 😆😆😆

You Might Also Like

0 comments