Haircut Epiphanies and the What-Nots

Tuesday, March 31, 2015


I stood upright in front of a full-length mirror with an overwhelming feeling that was both strange and unfamiliar I hardly recognize the face as my own. It was the longest time I've ever gazed at myself without flinching. I ran my hand through the silky undercut stubble of my pixie hair once more and disorientation seemed to finally wear off. With a round hairbrush, I combed back my hair on top to reveal the razored section in all its stubbly glory. I looked at it for several more minutes, staring at my reflection from different angles before I allow myself to trust my own judgment of what I'm seeing. And with some hesitance, I admit, I love the way I look. Never mind the high cheekbones, weak jawline, enormous head and nose that seemingly covers 75% of my face because the insufferable voice of Amy March in my head saying, “Your one beauty!” was finally silenced. I am enamored with this version of me who looks bolder, sort of hardcore and daring than I’ve ever been, almost a perfect pixie cut synthesis of Scarlett Johansson and Pink if I may say so myself. {Cue feels} {Insert face with stuck-out tongue and tightly-closed eyes emoji}

After almost five years of rocking a pixie cut, I considered growing my hair long again but that was until a dear friend sparked the idea to go pixie ala-Scarlett Johansson {Oscars 2015}. Being open to trying new {wholesome} things and so willing to add a little variety into my life, I thought, why the heck not! And so I did and now, I don’t even know if I’ll ever want long hair again. There’s a sort of transformative power that comes from this do as it matches my insides way better. They say there’s some kind of epiphany that happens when you get a new haircut, if that is the case then mine would be: my one claim to prettiness doesn’t solely rely on my hair anymore and how I look does not necessarily change who I am and what's inside.

Last week, I went to get my undercut re-buzzed, this time by a barber, using 2 guard haircut length. I run my hand through the stubble of my pixie hair again and thought, next time, I’ll surely go for #1. 

P.S. I'M STILL STRAIGHT :P

You Might Also Like

0 comments