Let's Talk Adele

Monday, April 29, 2013



I have so much love for Adele but you know that already so, I guess that’s not something new anymore. I love her like I love wearing flat shoes and sundresses even on the monsoon season. Yeah, something like that and that love by some means fueled me to sing Rolling in the Deep to a school event last February before a score of audience while laser lights went crazy and the fog machine confused the wits out of me. When I got off the stage, I told myself, never again! My love for Adele remains through, just not the idea of singing her songs in public.

And now that I’ve finally seen her 1-hour, 39-minutes and 25-seconds epic and larger-than-life Royal Albert Hall performance, the fan in me just had to blog about it somehow. While 2011 was the year of Adele and she has been in the music scene for quite some time now, the truth is, I’ve only started listening to her incredible music early 2012, out of boredom, to some extent, and a hankering to listen to something fresh and new to my ear plagued me for the most part. The incessant video posts of Someone Like You video on my newsfeed made me google her. I thought it was an awful sad song but then, I went browsing for more of her videos and I came stumbling on Rolling in the Deep and it just tingled the 0.3% of the modern feminist in me, haha! Imagine that. Lol!

Seriously though, Adele is the anti-pop star that I’m growing fonder and fonder of amidst the gimmicky, synthetic-auto-tuned and scandal-driven artists we have today. I at last understand why my brother can sit through a night watching any live performances from Red Hot Chili Peppers or Incubus on his computer because that’s exactly how I felt watching Adele’s performance in the Royal Albert Hall in the comfort of my kitty cave. That's what great musicians and songstresses can make you do, I guess. Plastered you on your seat singing-along, nodding your head and just be completely enthralled by the awesomeness of their music... raw and pure. I love the fact that there's no fancy lightings, no costume change, no dancers, no risky stunts, just pure talent and music. I also love how candid Adele was on stage, (swearing like there were no young people among her audience) rounded up for a genuinely amazing show.

Here are my favorite tracks from her set list:

  1. Hometown Glory
I think it was the best opening song for the show. Kind of like letting us know how grounded Adele is as a person who never forgets where she came from in spite of the fame, accolades and fortune she has now.

  1. My Same
... because me and few of my closest girl friends could totally relate to this song, ha!

  1. One and Only
I love this song, PERIOD! The churchy blues and soul and that tender line that goes  "I dare you to let me be you're one and only".

  1. Make You Feel My Love
I love how Adele dedicated this Bob Dylan masterpiece to the late Amy Winehouse. I think it's just absolutely endearing.

  1. Rolling in the Deep
What could be the PERFECT song to end an amazing show than Rolling in the Deep, mann? I think this song has turned into an anthem in its own right. I no longer dread heartache anymore because I know I can always sing along with this song and you know, get over it in a week or two, haha! But in case I’d like to be the morose and down-in-the-dumps type of person over a lost love, Someone Like You would do, haha! Enough said!

You Might Also Like

0 comments