To the HFLC Class of 2020: An Open Letter

Saturday, April 11, 2020



Kids,

I would not even pretend to have a full understanding of what exactly it is to be like in your shoes. 18 years ago, in the most overrated place one could be in, I got to wear a cap and a gown, walked the stage, received my diploma and shared the moment with my family as my fellow seniors and I concluded our final year in high school. My behavior was very remiss seeing that I was a convoluted drama queen with more teenage angst than I could’ve ever handled. But even when I acted like I didn’t care about my high school graduation, the truth is, I cared... more than I care to admit to be honest. I’ve kept it in the farthest back of my brain, yes, but it was a red-letter moment nonetheless. And from my heart of hearts, it is something that I wish you got to experience as well. College could be an utter blur but high school stays with you indelibly. High school is after all the place you go to learn what sort of person you’d like to be. That’s why there’s no getting around the fact that things ended the way it did. Commencement is a monumental event, this much I know, and that, graduates of 2020 deserves this moment, even if some of you have winged through it without a care.

To our little kindergartens, sixth and tenth graders, understand that missing out on school and on these experiences is warranted. However, this unceremonious occurrence will not curtail your years in HFLC or the lessons you’ve learned inside and outside its classrooms. Know that this school year has been nothing short of esteemed learning and growing. In spite of the postponement and the ongoing wave of craziness, know that the HFLC faculty and the administration are proud of all of you. Right now, life kind of sucks. But the thing about being human is that we invariably hang onto hope, that sooner or later, things will turn out better. While the world seems so foreign to all of us right now, believe that this won’t be a wasted year…. because even in the midst of the unexpected, we all can learn something. Find joy, embrace the ‘slow’ and continue learning unique lessons in this social distancing and isolation season. Congratulations!

Stay inspired,

Miss Anie

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. Yes, congratulations. And probably even more for the 2020 graduates as they don't have an official ceremony. Such a crazy time to live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Congratulations on completing a wonderful year. It is quite unfortunate that an official ceremony cannot happen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw a big congratulations from me to you. It is such a shame that you can not do the official cap and gown thing...that said you will be able to do so at a later date x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big congratulations to the HFLC Class of 2020, sorry about the fact that u might not be ceremonially
    celebrated

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I have a slightly different take on this. In the UK we don't celebrate with a ceremony when we finish high school. That's reserved for college/university only. I can understand that some may feel they're missing out though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is definitely a crazy to live in but its still experience. I think lacking of graduation ceremony is sad but it's unique. Congratulations to the classes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to the graduates even this hard trying times that you may not be able to celebrate it like the norm.
    Just enjoy the unique way to have fun going forward

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really sad that kids and youth of today can't attend the sacred ceremony of graduation, because I know how it feels while in the ceremony. Everything has happened for a reason. Still, my felicitations for making it. One day all your hardworks will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the pivotal moments of a student life missed due to the pandemic. We understand their pain and agony in not having one. Graduation rites is one of the most memorable event in a family.

    Congratulations to all graduating students!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a teacher too and I feel sorry for my graduating students who will only receive their certificates and toga photos without any ceremony. That is painful but safety is our priority.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's kinda sad that the graduates of this year wont be able to have a proper graduation, i know alot of them are looking forward to it pa naman after all the years of studying and hard work :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very sad for the graduates this year kasi wala silang graduation rites but still Congratulations to them and praying that this covid will end na so they could enjoy naman their life bago sila magcollege.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I CRY!!! I feel for the kids that missed out on the chance to have a graduation rights. it is indeed one memory to cherish. Highschool life even, its the best part of my life in my single stage. i pray that all the kids who graduates this 2020 will still be able to have one, it doesnt need to be now, it can be later, as long as they would get it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations for completing the year! Congratulations also to you for giving them amazing guide to complete their school year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last quarter of this school year has been crazy. I salute all students who were able to adapt and be able to finish despite of all the things that are happening, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They may not be able to have their rites but this pandemic is teaching all of us, especially them, I believe, great lessons that can be learned outside of the classroom. Of course, they deserve to have a ceremony and I wish they would be able to experience it again if not soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to all! it's sad that you missed out the graduation rights but still be thankful you are all safe from this pandemic

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to all the graduating students. I hope that you can still do the graduation rites after this pandemic.

    I have friends who spent 6 or 7 years in college. They will graduate this year but due to the pandemic, they can't march too. Anyway, I hope you guys are safe at home. Let's pray that things will be back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the graduates here in Korea, especially those who graduated from their MA, rented graduation gowns for photos na lang. sad but that's their reality now. but of course, it doesn't make them less brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Still, congrats to batch 2020! My students are all sad not getting that diploma the traditional way but I know their parents are cannot be more prouder! Right now though, let's all be safe first!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations to the graduates! Kalungkot lang na wala sila graduation rites pero syempre ang mas mahalaga muna ngayon ay ang safety ng lahat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww i cant imagine how it feels like to be a student during these times. Kudos to all the graduates of class 2020!!! Soon you can experience marching on your graduation ��‍�� ��

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's does really make you think how the students are handling their days during quarantine. I hope they continue wanting to learn and dreaming big dreams. The future might be blurry, but there's definitely light ahead. We can hope for that! Hang on kids!!

    ReplyDelete