Portrait of a Much-Loved Grandmother

Sunday, November 17, 2013



Siblings are forever teammates, your most trusted ally. Someone who would stand up for you when no close friends would” said my late grandma {paraphrase mine} when my 7-year old self complained about having too many sisters and brothers. I've protested here and there but I always knew she was right.

We’re 8 by the way. Before me are 5 older sisters and 2 older brothers. Back then, with both parents working abroad, my grandma held us together. Braving the aftermath of Mt. Pinatubo eruption, she was a godly source of strength, courage and love. What with her larger-than-life presence, we managed to pull through the tough times carrying with us life lessons she selflessly passed on not by mere words but through altruistic actions.

We lost her to pneumonia in 2012 and life for us has changed so greatly since. There’s never a day that goes by that I don’t think about her. My heart still aches at the thought that she's really gone. ... that she's missing out on seeing her great grandsons, JR and KC, my nephews,  all grown up or meeting our new little addition, Lori, my niece. But as I look back, I know that every sacrifices she made, steps she took, circumstances she overcame and love she gave were all in the name of family, something that made me value this institution the more.

Happy name day to you, Mi! Mahal kita!

You Might Also Like

0 comments